Monday, December 31, 2007

2007...

2007 has been one of the most happening years of my life to date. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's a 007 year, coupled with me always trying to emulate James Bond. (Thus the convertible and leather jacket)

Listing in terms of priority the top milestones of the year:


1. Getting into Med School - I am living my dream. Not sure how many people are lucky enough to do that. I'm very thankful for having been given this opportunity, and will never take it for granted. It's been a long and arduous road getting here, but the road ahead is even longer and tougher. All the same, I'm game.


2. Appreciating Family and Friends - I haven't been without family and friends for more than 1 month, and this being away was quite a trying time. Absence makes the heart fonder...


3. Appreciating Singapore - For all this shortfalls, Singapore is still home. I just had to find this out for myself by juxtaposing home with another place. I have been complaining about so many things about this place just like many others, but when it comes down to it, home is where the heart is.


4. Living abroad - How I prepared myself for this was to imagine the worst possible scenario in any case. With such expectations, one cannot possibly be disappointed. It wasn't easy, but I got through it without too many scratches. Different people, culture, place. Being "2nd class" isn't really a nice feeling, but I came out better through it.


5. Surviving 1st year Med - Honest to God, I haven't put in that much effort before into anything I have gone through. I can still recall how I was having thoughts about giving up, when I was studying through the night and I could feel my temples pulsating.... I asked myself is this all worth it? What if I got a stroke? But thankfully I was the wiser and knew that the pulsating temple would not lead to that. I survived. The worst should be over, I think.






6. Fitting in - I always wondered how it would be like in "angmo-land". Well, I'm glad to say it's really great. Made quite a few close friends there, albeit a lot of them being Asians.


7. Getting my first convertible - Another small dream of mine, to drive down the beach topless (the car, not me). I was contemplating about the MX-5 at first, but decided on the 206cc cos it had a hard top, and this was when Transformers was a hit. heh... it also looked futuristic and could potentially fit 4 people (they need to be on the small side tho).


8. Learning to Cook - I have always wanted to learn how to cook... but I guess necessity is the mother of all invention, and with Mom's cooking around, there wasn't necessity present. In any case, there's still lots of room for improvement. So far on the JKYL menu there's pasta, curry, tom yum soup, fried rice, and meat/vege dishes. Shall aim to expand my repertoire in 2008. Suggestions welcomed.


9. Semi-professional Wedding co-ordinator/emcee - Since I was back, I attended 7 weddings, of which I was best-man 3x and emcee 2x. My friends say I should provide professional wedding co-ordinator/planner/emcee services.... maybe next time as a sideline... heh.

Can't really think of a 10th to round things up, so I'll just leave this as it is.

Here's wishing everyone a special 2008. May you realize your dreams.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: 3 and 4, think I could say "told you so" but then again, it was something you really had to go discover for yourself.

but then again, you will also soon realise that you may or may not physically be in singapore, but you will always be singaporean. and that's what matters.

perhaps now you know why i'm back in singapore. despite how this place really sucks for a person like me.

Life of the Weatherman said...

Generally, I've never been overseas in my life. Though I've heard that life sucks as much or even more outside of Singapore. I think basically most every where is a stink pot, it really depends on your mentality and what you chose to accept and what not.

I think in the capitalist world that we are living in, unless you're in Tibet, one can hardly be satisfied lest he's a hermit.

My 5 cents thoughts.

p.s. BTW, the girl beside you in 6. quite chio, ahem ahem.... what you waiting for?

Anonymous said...

Re: Pt #4 - yes, so you noticed abt being "2nd class". good to know u r not stupid or blind or smitten like most asians here. why do u think so many m'sians and singas go back to their countries after "quitting" for the so-called more democratic western countries?

make sure the bs doesn't translate into marking. stand up for yer rights if u feel victimised. always. i've frens at gu doing dentistry and they say angmohs are getting marked far more leniently.

i was not surprised. even in melb uni - a "prestigious" institution, racial discrimination was quite rampant albeit covert.

Be a member of GUMS!

Tom