Monday, July 9, 2007

SG trippin part 1 of 7

One semester down, 7 more to go. To say that it flew past would be a lie, to say it crawled wouldn't do justice. I probably overcame the most difficult time of my life to date. *Self-5* And, I also probably enjoyed my time back home more than ever.

Exams didn't go as swimmingly as hoped. Before I started this I resolved to do well. No numbers, just do well. By my standards. I felt that I could have done better, but not by a lot. This semester was more of getting used to life away from home alone, getting used to interacting with people of another culture, and to get the ergonomics of knowledge acquisition down pat. I think I achieved those objectives.

This semester should be a lot better. All settled, have a bunch of great friends in and out of school, and my brain is all greased up for another 20+ weeks of work.

It's been a very short and very sweet trip back to the heartland (never thought I would ever use that word). 11 days, family, many friends, bomberman, people of the land, new landmarks and familiar ones, my trusty Blackmobil OPC Sunny (all 600+kms travelled), and just too much food. Just have to work it off. Gym membership maybe.

- Singlsh everywhere
- $3 meals
- <$2 transport
- Perspiration
- High frequency of buses/trains
- Sim Lim Sq
- Wireless@SG
- Traffic jams, impatient drivers
- Overcrowded shopping malls
- Kopi-O

And now back to the drawing board. Quite excited about this semester as we get to go to hospitals and start seeing real patients, the greatest teachers around. I have never ever believed in textbook learning, but I guess its better to have some grounding before you're seen prancing around the hospital with a stethoscope around your neck.

Be back soon...

2 comments:

moby sky said...

10 reasons to rush back again i guess...though the number 8 reason is actually entirely your own doing...the latter part at least. haha.

waspoh said...

Someone said to me recently "Living overseas is like having two stopwatches. When one stops, the other one is running."

I bet you never thought you'd miss the heartland? Haha. Yes, for whatever that's wrong with this place (and there are a lot), we still love it and call it home.