Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Griffith University

Why Griffith? Cos it's colour coincide with mine. Red.
Yes I am that frivolous. Moving along.

The school is a 7 storey building. Yes one building. It connects to the Gold Coast Hospital at the back. 7 storeys, fully self contained medical and dental school.





It seems kinda small, just 1 building, 7 storeys. But amazingly, they have designed it very ergonomically, with
- 2 labs: First encounters with cadavers. The sight of it is ok, but the smell can be overwhelming. Must learn not to breathe in too deeply. Otherwise *ou*.
- 2 lecture theatres
- 1 library
- 1 computer lab
- 20 tutorial rooms: That's were I show the rest of my tutorial group how helpless I am... ha
- locker room: Mine's empty, less lab coat.
- administrative offices
- bookshop: Opens at 7.30am. Who the heck goes there at that time?
- cafeteria: cannot make it, sandwiches and pasta, I think. Never bothered. Don't think I'll spend more than $10 on them this year. And I've already spent $2.80 on a small bottle of juice. Think the only thing worth getting is the coffee. Then again I haven't tried it yet also. See how.
- clinical setups




And all this not inclusive of dentistry labs.

Do I like the place? Well, structurally, it's what any student would have hoped for. New building, new furniture, new computers.... everything's new. But I think because the school is so new, it lacks character like those older schools, e.g. University of Sydney, and probably a lot of the universities in UK, I think.

How about NUS? hmmm.... ok la, my Alma Mata after all. That's where I had lots of good memories. I miss hall life...

7 comments:

waspoh said...

The UK universities have character. But it is an old, derelict, almost going to collapse type of character. The LTs still have wooden seats. I'd rather have a nice spanking new building...

moby sky said...

i miss hall life too...but i didn't have to go all the way down under to realise it!!! go and join the hall there lah! or even better, start a hall there loh! haha.

Nerd, Geek & Mineral Makeup addict! said...

Alma mater (means "nourishing mother" in Latin), not Alma mata lah! For me in the UK, it was always the people that made a difference, not really the red brick building or industrial age murals. In Germany, things were so stone age and dilapidated, I can understand why school fees are "free". You have to join some clubs or groups lor. Common sports, or get a bike and join the Aussie "mats" something like that. Or else, pick up Aussie-style salsa ;)

Nerd, Geek & Mineral Makeup addict! said...

Oh yah I realise that if someone from Singapore asks you which Uni you're studying in and you reply quickly " Griffith lor!" it sounds a lot like Harry Potter's Gryffindor! :p

Unknown said...

Audris - ok so my englang helicopter spoil. can? shall leave that error there. basket, google bluff me.

Wayne - haha... falling apart? hmmm. then push push abit see how? probably crap from thousands of students already there in the wood grains of the furniture ha.

Sky - there will always be MJ and bomberman and Liverpool. Always. You'll never walk alone.

waspoh said...

Nah. Fossilized chewing gum holds all the buildings together...

Anonymous said...

Hey fellow singa here.. u know that the griffith uni dental course is not going to be recognised by singapore dental council rite? It is unlikely becoz of the 3 plus 2 structure lah!

damned bloody expensive too. why not go to melbourne uni or queensland uni? got pedigree better becoz recognition is important. trust me in this!


Thomas