Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Springbrook - Glow Worms

Adrian, my secondary school friend was in town for a couple of weeks so we met up to go sight seeing. So nice to have a familiar face around, although it has only been 6 weeks here.

He came down from Brisbane and picked me up from my place, had dinner then set off to look for glow worms. Was quite excited about it. First real sight seeing experience since I came to Australia.

It was about an hour's drive to Springbrook from Southport, and we reached there at about 9pm.

Here is a map at the park. You can roughly gauge how far we went in from the coast. Think its about 30km from the coast. Ulu to the max.


After the entrace at the park, the whole place was pitch dark. I don't think you can get this kind of darkness in Singapore, what with all the night lights. It was really something else.

I didn't bring a torch, but I had my (sometimes only) trusty O2 Atom (aka Mota) and turned on its camera flash light. It's quite power actually. Lit up the pathway very well. Thanks Mots.

Below are the actual glow worms. They are just tiny spots that emit a luminous green glow, and because of the pitch darkness, they light up prettily (is there such a word? hmm).

You can't really tell how they actually look like from this picture, so just imagine you are in this large cave, and it's pitch dark, and you have thousand and millions of these little green glowing dots on the ceiling of the cave. That's pretty much what it looks like.

It took me quite awhile to get the picture above. Firstly, no light (not low light). Then no tripod, then the glow worms are on the ceiling which is quite far away, and they are not very bright too. So, I disabled the shutter, zoomed in to the max, turned on self timer, and placed the camera on the handrail nearby facing the glow worms. Had about 7-8 tries and that was the best I could do.

Driving to and from Springbrook, the night sky was so clear, and there were so many stars out in the sky. Never seen so many stars at once before.

Oh yes, saw this owl sitting on top of a road sign on our way back. Stuff you only see in moves/tv =)

2 comments:

waspoh said...

Wow! That's really cool! I remember on my first trip to Aussieland (for army exercise), I was completely blown away by the night time sky. The stars were indeed gorgeous. It helped that the army camp was in the middle of the desert.

Do enjoy the nature in Aussieland. It is indeed quite fantastic!

(but er, you didn't travel all the way there just to see worms did you? did you see the national park in the day perhaps?)

Actually, it would be really really cool to have slurpee coming out of the nozzle of the 7-11 pump!

And yes, there is a word "prettily".

Nerd, Geek & Mineral Makeup addict! said...

WAHHHH glow worms!!! I wanna see. And yes, there is such a word "prettily". What camera is it? That's what I do when I need night shots too (like a photo of the Blue Mosque at night in Istanbul).